It’s Tax Time. What FirstService Relief Fund Donors Need to Know

With tax season fast approaching, many of our FirstService Relief Fund donors have questions about how to document their donations for tax purposes.

Acceptable forms of documentation are the same regardless of whether you are based in Canada or the US.  

Payroll deduction – For those who donate through automatic payroll deductions, your end-of-year pay stub, along with a completed copy of your payroll deduction enrollment form, is an acceptable form of documentation.

Check donations – If you donated by check, you can use cancelled checks as documentation for gifts under $250. The Emergency Assistance Foundation (EAF), our third-party Fund administrator, will provide written acknowledgements for checks of $250 or more.

Credit / Debit card donations – You may provide a credit / debit card statements for amounts under $250. As is the case for check donations, donors of higher amounts can expect to receive an acknowledgement from EAF. 

Please note: All credit card donors receive an immediate confirmation and thank you email from the Emergency Assistance Foundation (EAF). You will also receive an email acknowledgement letter from EAF the first of the following month. EAF does not send out a year-end letter.

For those in the US, all donations to the FirstService Relief Fund are tax deductible. The EIN# for the Emergency Assistance Foundation is 45-1813056. 

Because tax laws in Canada vary by province, Canadian donors are advised to check with their tax preparer to learn more.

We thank all of our generous donors for their support. And remember, 100% of donations to the FirstService Relief Fund go directly to help our people in need. Every dollar makes a difference. Truly no amount is too small. Questions? Visit the FirstService Relief Fund Donor FAQ.