Lights Out for #Daylighthour
Throughout North America, more than 115 locations within the FirstService organization celebrated Daylight Hour by going “lights-out” in day lit spaces for an hour on Friday, June 22. Why? To show you can conserve energy, boost productivity and have fun while you’re at it. In fact, some employees were so enlightened by the experience they opted to keep the lights off for the rest of the day.
FirstService Corporation: Distributes food, supplies and companionship with Ve’ahavta in Toronto
This past week, 3 members of FirstService Corporation teamed up with Ve’ahavta to distribute food, drinks, supplies and most importantly companionship for 6 hours on a brisk February evening. This night is 1 of 3 planned over the next several months for FirstService to get involved.
- Over 235,000 Canadians experience homelessness in a year, including over 5,000 in Toronto alone (Toronto has the 2nd highest homeless population of any Canadian city).
- Approximately 1,350 chronically homeless people die each year in Canada, with an average life expectancy of 39.
Ve’ahavta’s Theory of Change
- by providing health supports, referrals to shelters, and essential supplies, we can meet the basic physical needs of homeless or under-housed individuals, and we can ensure their safety.
- by providing consistent, frequent, and compassionate service, we can decrease social isolation, and build trusting relationships that provide the emotional support needed to create change.
- by engaging and educating volunteers, we can raise consciousness about homelessness, reduce the stigmatization of the homeless, and inspire people to seek solutions to end homelessness.
Waj H. (Analyst, Risk and Compliance) describes his experience as “eye-opening”. “It made me recognize how fortunate I am to have everything I need, and perhaps I shouldn’t complain about the small inconveniences in my life. I could go on and on, but overall I’m thankful I had the opportunity to give back, connect and appreciate how fortunate I really am. Thank you to Ryan B. (Director, Finance) for organizing”.
If anybody in the Toronto area ever wants to get involved with this great program, feel free to learn more here.
FirstService Corporation: Donates to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto
To commemorate the holiday season, FirstService Corporation made a donation to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto on behalf of its employees.
FirstService Corporation: Daily Bread Annual Food Drive a Success – 377 lbs of Food
In keeping with the spirit of giving and the holiday season, FirstService Corporation participated in the annual “holiday food drive” for the DAILY BREAD FOOD BANK.
We are proud to announce that FirstService doubled its donation, and achieved 377 lbs of food, which surpassed the 300 lbs of food goal.
- 2016 – 178lbs of food
- 2017 – 377lbs of food
FirstService Corporation is proud to serve the underserved.
Daily Bread Annual Food Drive